Baronger's Scribblings

Friday, July 01, 2005

O'Connor Retires: Feeding Frenzy Begins

The main stream media, are like a bunch of sharks cicling this story. Any drop of blood or rumour of blood was bound to set them into a feeding frenzy. With the exception of the Aruba story, there are no huge stories going on. They were impatient for the next whale of a story to tear into. Now there is going to be a huge feeding frenzy. It's going to get bloody.

With the last retirement being so long ago, and everyone on both sides have prepared a lot of amunition for the next confirmation battle. I wonder if the justices are aware of this, and want to avoid this happening. As it is this is not the justice we were expecting. But it does look like Bush will get at least two justices and probably 3, since I say that Scouter will go too.

Since O'Connor was often a swing voter, I'm ambivelant. I think I liked about half her decisions. However since I loved her argument on Kelo, I think I have to come down on the side of, "sort of sad to see her go."

It will be interesting to see how the Kelo decision is going to impact on the deliberations, since it was her last major act. Since the decision was so unpopular, I see it as being a major factor. The other major factor, is how the filibuster will apply. I predict that the filibuster of all judges will die as an option.

Going to be an exciting summer of: character assasinations, pontifications, bloody shirt waving, rants, diatribes, debates, essays, yelling, screaming and crassss political manuevering. I don't think we are going to see calm deliberate debate, combined with cool reason. Looks like it's going to be a hot summer.

This is the first retirement in this new age of 24 hour news and blogs. There is going to be a lot of debate on this one. Since she was a swing vote, the democrats aren't going to take this lightly. With Reinquest I believe they would have been willing to keep the status of the court the same. I'll keep an eye on the various blogs. Orin Kerr, seems to be the most on top of the situation. He speculated earlier, about her possible retirement based on the fact that she hadn't hired her full compliment of clerks.

Update: Is this a nightmare for democrats? O'Connor was one of the major swing votes. Fox has some interesting speculation. More on this when, I see how the winds are blowing. I predict a Huricane, of tremendous fury. To continue the metaphor, it's going to be a choppy sea, full of frenzied sharks.

Update II: O'Connor apparently hand delivered her notice to the President. That was classy of her. Bush said that they had a discussion. My respect for her goes up another notch. She will be missed, a new page in the history of the nation has been turned. The ship of state has weathered political storms before, and it will weather this one. Batten down the hatches, and rig for storm. The skies are ruddy, let the sailors be warned.

|

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com