Baronger's Scribblings

Monday, February 21, 2005

Blogs on Blogs

CSJ has an article on successful blogging how too's, which links to brigg's blog.

Brigg's has his take on the 10 rules of the successful blogger. Here is my review of his points. But explore his site and determine for yourself.

_______________

Rule 1:
"Read more blogs," gives us a link to two blogger blogs. This is a very useful rule as it gives us real world examples of what works and what doesn't. Not to mention, it can give you something to comment on. ;)
Scobliezer
Micro Persuasion

Rule 2:
Use a link blog. Sounds like a useful bit of advice. I think however a scrap blog might be even more useful. For links I just use my bookmarks that I already have on firefox. However a scrapbook blog or maybe even a livejournal might be more useful. Opening up a gmail account dedicated to your blog, would work too as it is searchable. A link blog by it's nature would be an incomplete and chaotic mess. I really don't think that you should present the unedited you.

Rule 3:
Make sure your blog has a feed. An RSS feed is really important apparently. I really need to look into it. Not even sure if the RSS feed on my own blog is active. I'll make a note of this in my dedicated gmail account.

Rule 4:
Find a niche and evolve it. Currently my niche seems to be commenting on blogs. I'm hoping to expand it into geography. I have a bachelors degree in anthropology and my true love is cultures and how humans came to be as we are. Eventually this blog might come to reflect the stylings of "National Geographic". My current interest is North Korea, South Korea and Japan; however it will probably switch back to the silk road. There is not enough written on Khotan (Hotan), either present or past but I've done what I could with Wikipedia.

Rule 5:
Link, link and comment. Keeping that in mind here. It's one of the great things about the internet. Without linking we might as well be reading a book, newspaper or article on just a different medium. The hyperlink is what gives blogs their depth. Comments and trackbacks are your friend, remember this when you read other blogs.

Rule 6:

Keep notes on everything. If you have a convenient gmail account this is really easy. Instead of using notepad as is recommended, I think gmail is much more flexible. With the ability to categorize and search it is a really powerful tool. Livejournal as a private notepad is also really useful. Also since they are accessible from the internet they are much more useful if you are mobile or switch computers.

Rule 7:
Make sure your presentation is good. I have links to grammar and writing sites. My biggest problem is implementation though. I endeavor to write grammatically and clearly, however sometimes speed and a hasty edit defeats my best efforts. As you may have already seen, I am a lousy editor. Writing takes as much debugging as programming. I am often amazed when I re-read something I have written. I have weaknesses for homophones and often what is so clearly in my head looks lousy on the page. I realize that the presentation is of utmost importance. If the person reading this blog can't understand what I'm saying, then what's the point of writing.

Rule 8:
Be interesting, even controversial, but not stupid. Blog about what you know. This is very important advise. However I think you can blog about the unknown if you let your reader know, that you are likewise on a journey of discovery. But, you need to be very humble when you do this. State why you believe something to be true and give references as to why you believe it. More importantly, solicit feedback and ask for opinions. When you give an opinion, give a logical reason for it.

Rule 9:
Be funny. Is this a license for me to pun? Levity is very important, as is not being serious all the time. George W. Bush had a great opening joke for his speech in Europe today. He compared himself to Benjamin Franklin, in a joking manner. It was one of the best opening jokes in a speech I've heard. It was self deprecating, yet it also hinted at what he would like to be.
You know, on this journey to Europe I follow in some large footsteps. More than two centuries ago, Benjamin Franklin arrived on this continent to great acclaim. An observer wrote, "His reputation was more universal than Leibnitz or Newton, Frederick or Voltaire, and his character more beloved and esteemed than any or all of them." The observer went on to say, "There was scarcely a peasant or a citizen who did not consider him as a friend to human kind." I have been hoping for a similar reception -- (laughter) -- but Secretary Rice told me I should be a realist. (Laughter.)


Remember a bit of honey, since a blog full of vinegar is sure to sour on the audience.

Rule 10:
Stick at it. This is very important. I will try not to skip to many days. Maybe I should have a reserve. That way I can always be sure to have at least one article to post. If you can't think of anything, link to another interesting blog and comment on what they are saying. Remember Instapundit became famous for doing just that.

|

3 Comments:

  • Hi Baronger. Your RSS feed is working just fine! Thanks for the detailed analysis of my points. As with everything, these things can only be improved by people giving their views. I will look forward to reading your blog in the future. Cheers!

    By Anonymous Dave Briggs, at 22/2/05 00:03  

  • Thank you, and your welcome.

    By Blogger Baronger, at 22/2/05 19:14  

  • Yes, your feed is working well.

    Thanks for the tips.

    By Blogger Flap, at 22/2/05 19:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com