Baronger's Scribblings

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Blogs - a Brustian model

“All literature consists of whatever the writer thinks is cool. The reader will like the book to the degree that he agrees with the writer about what's cool. And that works all the way from the external trappings to the level of metaphor, subtext, and the way one uses words. In other words, I happen not to think that full-plate armor and great big honking greatswords are cool. I don't like 'em. I like cloaks and rapiers. So I write stories with a lot of cloaks and rapiers in 'em, 'cause that's cool. The novel should be understood as a structure built to accommodate the greatest possible amount of cool stuff.” -- Steven Brust


That's essentially what a blog is composed of. A blogger writes about what is cool to him or her. So here you will find stuff on space, politics, anthropology, biology, history, and culture. Everybody has there own personal cool-sphere, their little networked web of what they find cool. Instapundit is a great linker to many people, because he has a large cool-sphere. Instapundit will find something cool, and then use the blog as his "show and tell" and let us in on his find. The Professor has a more smaller cool-sphere, with an emphasis on wine and the law. The professor gives his take on blogging, in response to a post by coyote; which is that blogging about the cool stuff is fun and is why we do it.

We need to modify the rule about writing what you know. The rule should be, write about what you think is cool. I can write a tremendous bit about the marvels of paying property taxes from escrow accounts. However I don't really find it cool, it's just something I know how to do. I can blog about dealing with the different tax collectors around the U.S. and how to deal with them. I can go in depth about how to plow through payment history and determine who was at fault for a delinquent tax payment, and has eat the penalty. Yet it's not really that cool, yet I do like it somewhat because I found out that I'm good at it.

You don't need to know a lot about the subject. What you need is passion and a willingness to explore. You just need to be humble in your ignorance. Your passion for a subject will lead you to the knowledge, and let you find the cool items that also interest others. Each of us are exploring various realms of knowledge. Think of bloggers as scouts, for others that share a like interest in a cool thing. Each blogger will be at a different knowledge level, and will find the readers that are at the like level of experience. I like physics, but I doubt I could get much out of a highly technical blog.

In closing on property taxes, if you do have an escrow account that pays them; always check to make sure it's been paid at least a week before it's due. This is especially true if your mortgage was recently sold to another company. There are any number of hideous things that can go wrong. This is doubly true if it was sold close to the payment due date for the property tax. Ok, I guess I do find property tax payment sort of cool. I may need help.

|

1 Comments:

  • Wow what a cool blog you have here! I am impressed. You really put a lot of time and effort into this. I wish I had your creative writing skills, progressive talent and self discipline to produce a blog like you did. Your blog really does deserve an honest compliment. If you have some time, stop by my site, it deals with stuff like, click here: cool and then feel free to e-mail me with your words of wisdom.

    P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send my way...

    Later, Scott ;-)

    By Anonymous cool, at 2/11/05 05:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com